Diarrhea is a very common problem which is seen in both humans and dogs as well. In this article we are going to talk about 10 common reasons which lead to Diarrhea in dogs.
What is Diarrhea in dogs?
Diarrhea in dogs results in fast movement of the ingested materials through the intestinal tract which results in frequent bowel movements, loosened stool and increased amount of stool. You should not neglect the situation if your dog is suffering from diarrhea and must immediately call for the veterinary because Diarrhea can drain all the energy of your dog and result in a chronic problem if untreated.
Common Reason behind Diarrhea in dogs
Now we will look at the 10 reasons why diarrhea happens in dogs:
- Change in the diet of a dog can cause Diarrhea. A dog who is accustomed to eating a particular diet for a long period may not be able to digest a whole new diet and will face many digestion problems. Thus ultimately resulting in Diarrhea.
- The intake of poisonous substance which can be food or water, results in Diarrhea and it is very harmful for the dog’s overall system as well. When the dog eats a foul food or waste water, it messes with the normal digestive process.
- Bacterial or viral infection in the digestive tract can also result in Diarrhea because the ingested food does not get digested easily. Such an infection can be caused due to many reasons, the worms present inside, a long term untreated disease etc. Infections are very harmful because they impact the whole system.
- If the dog swallows a foreign object for example a toy, coin, or anything which can cause a blockage in the tract, causes diarrhea. It causes intestinal blockage inside the digestive system which blocks the passage of food and water and results in a clot inside the tracts.
- Eating of spoiled and wasted food also causes bad reactions in the digestive system which results in loosened stool and bad digestion. Always provide your dog with fresh and healthy food. Foul food and waste water fouls the digestive process and casues harmful gases and Diarrhea.
- Kidney and the liver are the two most important digestive organs. Any infections or disease related to them can cause the dog to suffer from diarrhea.
- Rickettsial also causes diarrhea, is an infection which is caused by parasitic worms present in the digestive system. These are generally roundworms or coccidias. They hamper the normal digestive process.
- Pancreas is a very important part of our body, which if infected, can have a great impact on the digestive system. Any disease which affects the pancreas can also result in bad digestion and production of harmful gases. Therefore causing an unhealthy flow of ingested food frequently.
- Overuse of drugs and medicines results in an upset digestive system in dogs. Any dog which is under heavy dose of medicines can face a bad digestion. Therefore always consult your veterinary before medication, or else the dog can suffer from diarrhea.
- A dog that has a hypersensitive digestive system can have frequent Diarrhea. Any intake of foul food, waste water or foreign object can damage the digestive system of the dog. Therefore you will need to be more careful while taking care of such dogs.
Diarrhea can be identified easily and if treated at the right time can be cured easily as well. If you think your dog is suffering from it, do not delay and take him to a doctor. Proper medication and treatment will cure the dog or else if untreated it can result to an unhealthy disease.